Saturday, January 30, 2010

If finding a puppy to much to ask?!

Seriously.  I know we are a picky family with too many specifics regarding what dog is best for our family.  We have adults, 3 children five and under and a modest home in a modest neighborhood.  But we have so much love to give a puppy.  And can we find one?!  Nope!
For those who do not know too much about our previous dog, Midnight, he was in our home and part of our family since my husband and I started dating.  We got him on October 31, 2000 at 18 months old in a shelter.  He was $40 to adopt and we got a voucher for $50 to get him neutered.  He was one of the loves of my life for a long time.  A Great Dane/Lab mix, he truly was something special weighing in at 125 pounds :)
Here is our special Midnight at a birthday party June 2007!


When our third child was born in April 2009, Midnight all of the sudden became ill.  After a few weeks of testing and trying different things, a CT Scan showed he had a massive tumor in his stomach, so huge it was pushing him stomach out fro under his ribs.  It was fast and sudden and the only humane thing to do was put our baby down :( So, we did.  One of the hardest things I ever had to do.

Fast forward to today.  We have been ready for a few months now to get a new puppy.  We found a 1.5 y.o. Mastiff and were going to get it but found out it was an unaltered female so it would have been an additional $400 to get fixed.  Also, our vet talked with us and we pretty much determined that due to the size of our children and their age, that a large breed puppy would be best so they could grow up together and get used to each other's size that way.  I randomly posted on Craigslist about help finding a low fee Dane pup as that is what we want for our family and got a link for a puppy 6 hours away for $400 (purebred but we would be find with a Dane/Lab mix as well) but they had so many hoops to jump through it would have cost more than a purebred at a breeder when it was all said and done.  So, we tearfully said no thank you.

I gave up on getting a dog thinking God just did not think it was our time yet and yesterday I got an email from someone that they saw an ad for a Dane pup on another Craigslist.  So, I looked and it was an 8 mo old male for FREE!!  So, perfect and he even looked like our previous dog a little which was cute.  Long story short they decided to keep him :(  So, my kids once again our grieving (mostly the five year old).  I just wish we could find them a dog.  Great Danes are expensive but it seems to be the breed that works best for our family.  We do not want to use a breeder bc the upfront cost is too much for us but once we have the dog we have a wonderful vet, neighborhood, and lots of love to give.  I know how much it costs to breed dogs and care for them so I understand the fees and am aware that no one has a big enough heart in this economy to just give a puppy away to a deserving family or even reduce the fees as I know everyone not just myself is hurting right now financially.  So, we wait until a better time I guess...even though I thought it was now :(

Please God, I am very thankful to have the wonderful family I have but why is a puppy not in the cards yet?

No comments: